1.26.2011

Behind Screen Number One Is...Another Screen

My world is made of screens. At least that's what it feels like most of the time. As I struggle to find the words to write what I want to write, I stare blankly at the computer screen. That is until I conjure the right words; then I'm actively staring at the screen.

When I'm not staring at the computer screen, I am staring at the screen on my Nook, hoping to glean some inspiration (or technique or something) from the electronic pages written by people more successful than I.

Every now and then I take a break from reading to check my phone. Another screen. The constant scrolling on mobile social networking sites is enough to give me motion sickness. And when that happens...

I turn on the television to alleviate the stress on my eyes.

I've tried reading real books, something that still comes more naturally than picking up the Nook. But the necessity of wearing reading glasses compels me to put the book down again. Every now and then I try to remember a time when my life was less reliant on screen technology, but the reminiscence simply doesn't come. I can't help wondering if I am the only one who is bothered at this revelation.

I'm disconcerted by the thought that everywhere I turn there's something to stare at, not something or someone to engage with. I want to be actively involved with my occupation; I don't want to be a passive bystander anymore. I want to be a necessary component of how I spend my mornings and evenings.

I'm not sure what the solution to this problem is, if indeed it is a problem. It may be that screens are a necessary part of this increasingly technological world in which I have insinuated myself. If that's the case, then I will simply have to accept reality for what it is and figure out a way to embrace it. Whatever the case I think for now my eyes need a bit of a break from this computer. Perhaps I'll try reading for a bit...

3 comments:

  1. And just think: How would I, or anyone else get to read this blog without our screens to show it to us? I shudder to think that back in the day, people mailed their blogs to all their followers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all just let me know if your eyes are getting tired; I would be more than happy to snail mail this stuff to you. Maybe I'll get a bulk discount depending on how many pages I'm sending?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.